Blog

UN peacekeepers in Central African Republic face fresh abuse claims

Category: Blog
81 0

United Nations says it is investigating new allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse of four underage daughters by soldiers serving under UN flag in Bangui

UN peacekeepers are facing new allegations of sexual abuse in the Central African Republic involving four young girl, according to the UN spokesman.

The UN mission in Bangui received the claims on Monday and has asked three countries whose troops were allegedly involved in the misconduct to analyse.

Stephane Dujarric, a spokesman for the UN secretary general, did not say what countries the accused peacekeepers were from.

Under UN regulations, it is up to the country contributing troops to analyse and prosecute soldiers accused of misconduct while serving under the UN flag.

The 10,000 -strong Minusca force has been hit by a wave of allegations of sex abuse by the peacekeepers, inspiring the UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, to fire the mission chief last year.

The accusations, however, have continued to surface. The UN mission is analyse new allegations concerning both sexual exploitation and abuse and other misconduct by UN peacekeepers in Bangui, Dujarric said.

The mission chief, Parfait Onanga-Anyanga, told troops and police in Bangui that there would be zero-tolerance for such actions and no complacency for perpetrators, he added.

There were few details released about the latest case as UN officers were working to establish the facts. The four girls, all minors, received medical care, along with shoes, clothes and hygiene kits.

The United Nations has being severely shaken by allegations last year that French and African troops forced children to perform sexual acts in exchange for food, from December 2013 to June 2014.

An independent panel last month found that a report by the mission detailing the allegations sat on desks for months until an article in the Guardian in April sparked outrage over the case.

The UN does not name countries whose peacekeepers are accused of sex misconduct, under pressure from member states, but Ban has said he intends to start doing so this year.

Ban announced last year his intention to repatriate the troops of countries that do not act on allegations of sex misconduct.

Read more: www.theguardian.com

Leave a comment

Categories

  • No categories
STAY UP TO DATE
Register now to get updates on promotions and coupons.